1880 The British Guiana Mutual Fire
Insurance Co. Ltd was incorporated by Ordinance No. 31 on Dec
15, 1880 by Messrs. John Seys Hill, B.S. Bayley & the Hon. R.P.
Drysdale. The company's first home was located at Mud Lot 19, Water
Dec 16, 1880: John Seys Hill informs the public through the local
press that the company was ready to issue insurance policies.
1893 The cornerstone for the Company's new
Head Office was laid at Robb & Hincks Streets on land purchased
1909 The company expanded its operations to
Barbados, Grenada, St Kitts & Nevis and Trinidad & Tobago
1925 The British Guiana and Trinidad
Mutual Life Insurance Co. Ltd was incorporated
Oct 31, 1925 and the first Life Insurance policy was issued.
1962 The first Local Branch Office opened
in Coburg Street, New Amsterdam, Berbice.
1965 The second local Branch Office opened
in Arvida Road (now Republic Avenue), Linden.
1966 The Group's name was changed to the Guyana
and Trinidad Mutual Fire and Life Group Of Insurance Companies (GTM).
1980 GTM celebrated a milestone with GTM Fire
reaching 100yrs of continuous operation.
1991 – 1995 Local expansion continued
with Branch Offices opened in Corriverton, Vreed-en-Hoop, Rosignol,
Anna Regina and Port Mourant.
1999 Another local Branch Office was opened
in Bagotstown, EBD.
2006 The new Customer Service Area at GTM's
Head Office was commissioned on Aug 23, 2006.
2010 The new Vreed-en-Hoop office commissioned
at cost of $45Million GYD on Apr 12, 2010.
Sept 2011 - Mar 2012 GTM's Head Office undergoes